One of probably the most neglected field of health sciences, particularly Behavior Management, is Mental Health. Most people have this notion that everyone is born with a perfect mental health condition. Everyone is mentally healthy. If one claims to suffer from mental health, more often than not, it is believed to be induced by the affected individual. Hence, it’s cure also relies on the affected individual. Not all people realize, a person who has problems with his or her mental health can either or both be biologically and environmentally induced.
By definition, mental health pertains to the psychological well-being or the absence of any form of mental illness. In layman’s terms, this refers to the capability of an individual to enjoy life, despite all the challenges and situation it brings. The ability of a person to satisfactorily adapt to the uncontrolled changes within his or her immediate and surrounding environments are also covered.
While most people are still in denial about the existence of mental health, experts in the field tried their best to simplify the understanding of the topic. A few of the common indicators of positive mental health include the following.
- Ability to cope with the demands and sources of stress in life – All individuals have their burdens and sources of stress. This differs across ages and sex. Regardless of the demographic factors, the ability of a person to address all the complexities of their everyday environment is a clear indicator of good mental health.
- The capability to become productive – Everyone needs to be productive. Productivity in the sense of Mental Health being able to accomplish all expected tasks and responsibilities. Being productive means that a person is acutely aware of his or her duties, knowing the consequences of failure and having full control of one’s life is a manifestation of good mental health.
- Having dreams, ambitions, and positive outlook – Everyone has dreams. The goal may range from the shallowest to the most ambitious scale. Regardless of the extent of anyone’s dream, a good mental health is said to be grounded in excellent mental health. Whether that dream is to become rich, acquire a particular material possession, promotion at work, having the vision to look forward. However, the perseverance and the willingness to pursue such dream is another story. If a person fails to continue his dream, it does not necessarily translate to poor mental health.
- Relationship with people within immediate surroundings – While there are always different types of personalities and their ways of handling people, the state of one’s interpersonal skills provide a sign of one’s mental health. While there are individuals who are naturally aloof, people who suddenly become detached are suspected to have problems with their mental health. Likewise, individuals who are suddenly needing attention may indicate problems about mental health.
Given the different indicators of mental health, the field also offers different ways on how to address problems related to mental health. To prevent mental health related problems, the following are advised.
- Having regular body exercise – Surprisingly, exercise prevents the chances of experiencing mental health. The popular belief is that exercise releases the happy hormones or endorphins. Scientifically, exercise aids in normalizing the body’s condition. On the biological side, exercise tends to prevent mental health problems.
- Eating healthy meals – Overeating or undereating are both bad. When one overeats, one is prone to become overweight and develop other health related illnesses. This in return is contributory to other problems that lead to the possibility of worries and mental health related illnesses. Under-eating works the same. Depriving oneself of food will eventually lead nutrient deprivation. If the body does not receive its much-needed nutrients, the biological functioning of the body will be affected. Catching illnesses and other diseases will be easy. Being sick in the long run brings worries, depression, and other mental illnesses.
- Having friends – Friends brings us happiness and become our source of strength when in need. The point is not to have a lot of friends. The more pressing concern is to have reliable friends to count on, in times of despair and happiness. Friends can divert our attention. Friends believe what seems to be a heavy burden we carry. In the end, friends in one way or another drive us away from suffering from related mental problems.
- Have dreams, ambitions, and goals in life – While this can serve as an indicator of good mental health, it also acts as a way to achieve excellent mental health. When one is filled with dreams and ambitions, one is driven to commit to hard work, perseverance, and positivity. Fulfilling one’s dreams can serve as a substantial diversion to the possibility of getting related medical problems.
Despite the research and proven ways to maintain good mental health, no one can predict when one will experience problems about mental health. The sad thing about mental disorders is that there are only a few professionals trained to address it. In the end, most mental health doctors advise the path to prevention. If for some reason, the occurrence of mental disorders persists, treatment not usually done overnight. The process is a joint effort between the patient and the immediate family members, friends or people around. There are therapy sessions and consultation provided. Through this, the doctor can trace out the causes or drivers of the mental health problems. Doctors also prescribed medicines. These drugs will not address the problem but helps the patient cope with the problem. Usually, medications allow the patient to sleep, relax and normalize his hormonal condition. But then again, medications can also work on the biological system.
For the family members, doctors usually advise spending more time and engaging in worthwhile activities. A way to divert the patient’s attention and to make the patient realize that there are far more valuable things that make their life meaningful.
Taking in the last statement, achieving good mental health is a lifelong journey.